Message Lab is seeking a Content Strategist to join its Strategic Activation team. This individual will play a broad and critical role in Message Lab’s work to build client content strategies, while supporting the development of an insights-driven content strategy practice area.
Working with Message Lab’s editorial and operations teams, and at the direction of Message Lab’s Senior Editorial Strategist, you’ll develop content, measurement and analytics strategies for clients, and work with them from onboarding and discovery through execution to achieve program excellence. You will play an important role in developing ongoing insights and analysis that come from these efforts, translating those into data-informed testing plans and evolving content strategies.
You’ll act as a capable strategist and researcher, willing and able to dive into new areas and topics—spanning editorial and activation—and help develop Message Lab’s point of view on what matters. You’ll also be a vital liaison between the editorial and strategic activation teams, ensuring that editorial products are properly positioned for audiences, audience journeys, channel growth, and to achieve performance measurement goals.
You will think critically about what kind of content our clients could benefit from—be it a blog post, video, infographic, podcast, or other audio material—and will work with external vendors such as writers, editors, visual and motion graphic designers, and other necessary ML team members to make sure the work is achieving its stated purpose.
This position is remote, with a preference for candidates in the Boston/New England region. It reports directly to the Senior Editorial Strategist.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Use your experienced editorial eye to make qualitative judgments about client content and publishing maturity that manifest in actionable recommendations
- Lead client intake and discovery alongside the operations team, and help craft up-front project strategies and plans
- Analyze platforms trends and performance to facilitate opportunities for growth and improvement and provide data-backed insights in non-technical language
- Conduct positioning analyses of potential client competitors in the ideas space
- Work with Message Lab analysts to refine and improve the monthly and quarterly reporting process and product — surfacing the “why” behind the “what”
- Define content flows and help to build content strategies to meet client goals
- Plan and lead presentations to convey discovery and strategy to clients
- Evolve the discovery and strategy process at Message Lab
- Work with the editorial operations team to execute editorial experience best practices, and ensuring the strategic activation POV is integrated into editorial planning from the beginning
- Facilitate communication between internal Message Lab teams — strategic activation, editorial, design, and operations — to provoke innovation and effectively close the editorial feedback loop
- Work with audience development team to assess new and effective ways to measure the impact of audience engagement on content programs
- Collaborate with the rest of strategic activation to better communicate our team’s capabilities and the value of measurement, editorial analysis and experimentation
WHO YOU ARE:
- The Message Lab approach to strategy and insights is deeply seated in journalistic and editorial expertise. Thus candidates for this job must have a minimum of 2-3 years prior professional experience in journalism or media
- Outside your media experience, you have 3-5 years of work experience in developing digital marketing campaigns with exposure to and experience with executing strategic approaches across channels:
- Editorial experience: You approach content creation with a journalistic eye, have written and edited a lot of stories, and understand how to create content that resonates with people (not just drives sales)
- Strategy experience: You’ve built content strategies for internal or external clients and understand how to help achieve outcomes and measure the effectiveness of plans
- User journey experience: You’ve had a hand in developing personas based on qualitative and quantitative insights, and have executed clear thinking around user journey development
- Owned content experience: Blog/website optimization, email marketing, and/or SEO
- Shared content experience: Organic social, and/or email marketing experience
- Comfort with key tools:
- Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics/Omniture, Mixpanel, Tableau, SEM Rush, Ahrefs, Google search console, MailChimp, Marketo, Buffer
- Content management or editorial tools: WordPress, DivvyHQ, CoSchedule, Hubspot, Percolate, Contently, Kapost
- Strong presentation skills. You should enjoy presenting and understand the power of simplicity when communicating big ideas and multifaceted concepts
- Highly collaborative. You should enjoy collaborating with teams and working remotely (lots of Slack and Video conferencing), be an outspoken advocate for strategy and data, and be a technical problem solver with an interest in content and design
- Bias for action. The ability to course-correct and problem solve, and an entrepreneurial spirit — always looking for opportunities to evolve and expand valuable services or approaches
- Enjoy and appreciate the power of laughter in a fast-paced environment, with a positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
ABOUT MESSAGE LAB
We’re a fast-growing content agency with deep roots in journalism straddling the line between marketing and communications, with a focus on editorial content and engagement analytics. We've built a team with diverse backgrounds who want to create content that improves people’s experiences with brands. Our editorial team comes from WSJ, NY Times, Bloomberg, Forbes, and Business 2.0, among other places. Our clients include Google, Coinbase, ServiceNow, and Silicon Valley Bank.